Saturday, February 15, 2014

Spotted goatfish

Yes, that's actually a name for a fish.  It's the center fish, with liberties taken with its colors.  This is another painting I started over a month ago and decided to finish tonight so I could have something to post!

You may notice the bottom fish looks like it might have swam out from a Lisa Frank album (80s children represent).  I actually saw a fish this color in Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI.  It was cobalt violet with a cobalt turquoise lattice pattern on it--even bolder than how I've painted it here.  If you have ever bought watercolor paint, you know this is the most expensive fish to paint!

One of the best tips my teachers have given me is to make objects of interest run off the page.  That is why the purple fish seems to be bailing on the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment