Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Quilting is the New Painting

After finding numerous beautiful things to paint today, I came home from work and decided to get obsessed with a quilt commission I'm working on for a friend.  So tonight, your daily painting is a daily quilt project.  Readers may also place bets on whether I retitle this blog "Before Sunrise" after a week of trying to post every day.

One of my oldest friends - probably my oldest friend actually - commissioned me to make a quilt from heirloom embroidered tablecloths.  They are gorgeous.   She will give it to her mother as a present (hopefully her mother is not following my blog quite yet).

Unfortunately some are torn in places, so I've decided to applique the bits of embroidery into a Baltimore Album quilt. 
 Here's an example of one of the tablecloths and what I'll do with it.





I have enough flowers to start a small florists shop, and I'll probably make 20 blocks, six of which will be flowers in these vases.  On the back of the quilt, I'll use a whole tablecloth that's in beautiful shape, with interfacing.











I especially love these hand embroidered towels. 











These are my other favorite patterns.  One good thing about the snow - I'll have a lot of time for applique!

You can find examples of Baltimore quilts by clicking on the links here:
Album Quilt from the collection of the St. Louis Art Museum
Explanation of what a Baltimore Album Quilt is

No comments:

Post a Comment