Monday, March 10, 2014

Letter writing

One of my good friends is an archivist, and I remember her sadly saying people don't write letters anymore. She's right for the most part, but one of the best parts of being friends with artists is that they send the best mail.  My friend and teacher Judi Betts decorates the envelopes and sends copies of her sketches to friends.  Here are some sketches I'm sending to my friends.
I went to the opera last weekend and saw Placido Domingo onstage for the first time.  
My family was thrilled to find a photo of my uncle's old Boy Scout troop in a local history book.  I'm sure he will be thrilled that I drew a sketch of it and posted it to my blog.

My last sketch is from a photo I took in Guatemala of a statue of Archangel Raphael.  I love line drawings, mainly for the result you get so quickly.  I saw an exhibit of journals made by one of Norman Rockwell's cousins once.  Everyday she made simple but endearing sketches about her life.  She used pen and just one or two colors, but I clearly recall the pictures of her dancing, cooking something on the stove, or visiting friends. It's a nice way to make sense of a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment