Monday, May 25, 2015

Sofia, Bulgaria

I spent the day exploring Sofia and recording what I saw in my sketchbook.
I also went to the lovely Absinthe Aquarelle Gallery to see the water colors.  I'd write down the names of the artists I liked but unfortunately I don't have a Cyrillic keyboard!  There were many beautiful works and the woman working in the gallery said that there is no one style of Bulgarian watercolor, but everyone seems to do their own thing.  Nothing wrong with that.

Angel from a fresco in the St Alexsandr Nevski cathedral.  No photos allowed so you need to draw!

My name in Cyrillic and the welcome flower from the tour director 

St George's rotunda, hidden in a Stalinist baroque courtyard behind the President's office, and the oldest church in Bulgaria.

Statue of St Clement, father of the Cyrillic alphabet.

No comments:

Post a Comment